- Call us: +44 203 397 0096
Everyday household activities can seriously contribute to water pollution; yet not many people think about what happens beyond pouring excess chemicals or waste into the drainage system. The reality is however that these chemicals will end up contaminating our water system and therefore contribute to the pollution of waterways in the UK. As it stands, the annual expenditure on treating diffuse water pollution is £8 million according to the Environment Agency. These costs look set to increase in the future as the UK strives to reach the desired levels of water quality, as set out in the European Water Framework Directive in order to avoid financial penalties. Currently, only 26% of rivers, lakes and other water bodies reach this quality standard. It is therefore imperative that people start thinking about what happens beyond just the drain through which you poor your waste. Delphis Eco have complied a 7 point check list of things that you can do on a daily basis to help contribute to a better environment!
1. Recycle and dispose of your waste properly. Make sure you know where certain waste should be deposited and why.
2. Use environmentally friendly household products, such as the range Delphis Eco manufacture, as these are readily biodegradable, made of natural products, phosphate free and non hazardous. Check for the EU Ecolabel Accreditation and other such awards.
3. If you do still use nasty chemical products make sure you correctly dispose of these hazardous products. Keep paints, used oil, cleaning solvents, polishes, pool chemicals, insecticides, and other hazardous household chemicals out of drains, sinks, and toilets!
4. Use the minimum amount of detergent when washing clothes or dishes.
5. Never flush non-degradable products -- such as disposable diapers or plastic tampon applicators -- down the toilet. These damage the sewer system and cannot be broken down.
6. Do not put fatty deposits (Fats, Oils or Grease) into the sink – these will block the pipes and contaminate water.
7. Wash your car in an environmentally friendly way – do not let soapy and oily water from your drive runoff into the train. Just one quart of motor oil can contaminate 250,000 gallons of drinking water!
Good luck! If we all stick to these seven points we can help reduce water pollution in the UK! Any stories of your own efforts to reduce water pollution would be great to hear. Email me at Daniel@delphiseco.com to share your story.
Looking for a specific article? If you can’t findwhat you are looking for type in your keyword below.
If you would like more information or can’t find what you need on this site, then please fill out the form below: