Green Office Week is one week each year full of practical and simple ideas to turn your working world around and make your office greener. You can make a real difference to the environment by making a few small, practical changes. Become a true green champion by taking our daily themes and making them work for you each day, every week of the year.
Thanks to London Grumblr for posting us!
Friday – Focus on Innovation
Encourage further discussion, action, and thinking about the environment well beyond Green Office Week! What ideas do you have? Did You Know? One quarter of office workers highlighted a lack of encouragement as the reason why they're not greener. Tell us how your Green Office Week went @delphiseco
- Tip 1: From a caustic free and fume free oven cleaner for Google to a triclosan free anti-bacterial hand soap for Waitrose, at Delphis Eco we continue to push the boundaries to create award winning innovation.
- Tip 2: Set up a green ideas scheme which encourages and rewards lean, green thinking in your company.
- Tip 3: Go walkabout in your office and find five things that need changing - aim to get them done by the end of May.
- Tip 4: Invite local college students and artists to get creative with your office junk - make a bench for your diner or a stunning art piece for your reception!
- Tip 5: Get social! Link up with likeminded eco-warriors via the Green Office Week twitter feed and facebook pages. Tell the press what you've done this GOW. Use the press release templates on the GOW website to encourage others and maintain momentum!
- Tip 6: Nobody can do everything but EVERYONE can do SOMETHING!
Thursday – Focus on Purchasing
Encourage a review of purchasing habits and switching to eco-friendly office products. There are enough suppliers of green office products.
Did You Know? Just one fifth of office workers choose environmentally friendly office products or recycled stationery.
- Tip 1: Go green and buy Delphis Eco! Our products are more powerful and safer than the multitude of chemicals currently available. In most cases we save money by replacing multiple, hazardous cleaners with more effective products that will improve health and safety and help the environment.
- Tip 2: Organise a stationery amnesty day and pool together surplus stationery supplies. You will probably find you stock re-orders reduce dramatically! Co-ordinate your stationery orders with others in your company to reduce the number of deliveries.
- Tip 3: Choose recycled paper and/or items sourced from sustainable sources when ordering your stationery.
- Tip 4: Try re-manufacturered ink and toner cartridges - most offer the same quality as new.
- Tip 5: When choosing electrical products, choose items with energy star ratings which are more efficient and economical to run.
- Tip 6: Switch to a green energy tariff which will help towards investment in clean energy from renewable sources.
Wednesday – Focus on Waste
Encourage the 3Rs: reduce/reuse/recycle and benefit from the cost-reductions.
Did You Know?
More than half of office workers don't re-use cardboard boxes.
- Tip 1: Adopt an Eco-Turtle refill station. This unique dispenser enables you to reuse empty plastic bottles destined for landfill whilst taking safer, greener chemicals into people’s homes and work place.
- Tip 2: You've heard it before but it's true: avoid, reduce, reuse, recycle, dispose. Get colleagues to design a waste hierarchy pyramid and use the winning design to spread the word!
- Tip 3: You've heard it before but it's true: avoid, reduce, reuse, recycle, dispose. Get colleagues to design a waste hierarchy pyramid and use the winning design to spread the word!
- Tip 4: Reuse old envelopes & packaging - just label over the old addresses – similarly reuse old folders and files, but labelling over the text or old labels with opaque labels.
- Tip 5: See if you can go the whole day without printing any emails.
- Tip 6: Set the default on your printer to black and white and duplex (double sided) and see how much longer your paper and ink cartridges last! Send off your used ink cartridges for recycling.
- Tip 7: Offer old office furniture and equipment to local charities, hostels or schools.
Tuesday – Focus on Transport
Encourage measures to reduce your company's environmental impact through travel. Get a bike to work scheme going or simply start alternative ways to traveling to work than by car yourself.
- Tip 1: Delphis Eco manufacturer highly concentrated cleaning products. We recommend buying in concentrate and diluting into empty trigger bottles to reduce carbon miles.
- Tip 2: Avoid the morning rush hour and help reduce traffic on the roads. Try to work from home one day a month.
- Tip 3: Save cash and make friends - find someone who lives close by or who is going to the same meeting as you to car share tomorrow. Write a travel policy which specifies rail travel where possible. Travelling to Europe by train typically saves time, money and carbon emissions!
- Tip 4: Research how to set up conference calls - they're a lot easier than you think and you'll save heaps of time in the car! Skype is a free service that takes minutes to set up and allows you to make calls and video calls to fellow users.
- Tip 5: Opt for a cycle courier rather than your man with a van or choose a courier offering alternative energy or low carbon services.
- Tip 6: Find out if your city has a 'Bike' scheme - more fun than the gym! Explore whether your company can offer tax-free incentives to staff by purchasing bicycles through payroll.
Monday – Focus on Energy
Encourage measures to reduce energy consumption in your company. This can be as simple as ensuring that lights are turned off in areas that are not in use or that PCs, screens, copiers, peripherals etc. are switched off overnight or when not in use. It really can be as simple as that.
- Tip 1: Traditional cleaning products are made from valuable fossil fuels. Switch to Delphis Eco cleaning products that are all derived from sustainable plant based resources.
- Tip 2: Enable the standby mode on printers and photocopiers, turn off machines at the end of every day – or put them on a 7 day timer switch to make it automatic.
- Tip 3: Make sure your heating and air-conditioning systems are not competing with one another. Better still, switch them off, open the window and get some fresh air in.
- Tip 4: Turn off mobile phone chargers as soon as the phone has charged and unplug the charger – it also saves the battery life of the phone
- Tip 5: Assess how much energy is being used when the building is empty compared to when in use – it may surprise you! Then you can address the elements that can be changed at weekends etc.